Psalm 67 is a brief psalm. It is unique in that no single part of it really stands out on its own. The entire psalm must me read and taken as a whole. It is a marvelous psalm. It is one that could easily be seen as a guiding light by our founding fathers when forming this more perfect union called the United States of America.
1) God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah.
Asking God for mercy connotes wrong doing. It also shows a repentant heart. Doing wrong and then realizing it was wrong with remorse is the only true way to ask for mercy. A non-repentant soul is rebellion, obstinacy and arrogance. It is an offense to God.
God’s shining face on the people is God showing favor. The way is made clear, things understood and opportunity avails itself.
2) That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations.
To know the way of the Lord is every Christian’s lifelong ambition and quest. But to know it here on earth is the greatest blessing of all! “Thy saving health” is better translated “Thy saving salvation”. But to use health for salvation certainly is a good descriptive for God’s salvation, “It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.” (Proverbs 3:8)
3) Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
Let all the people of a nation praise you God for it will do nothing but benefit that nation.
4) O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah.
The Lord as our governor. Leading the nation in righteousness and in mercy. Could there be a better idea for heaven on earth? Righteousness is God’s character and attributes. The nation would not only follow in the path of righteousness but would take on those same Godly attributes. It would truly become a nation of Godly people.
5) Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
This phrase is repeated and no wonder. To fully understand what it would mean to be governed by God and to live life righteously as God. Not only for the happiness and joy that it would bring but for the power and peace as well
6) Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us.
God is nothing but a forward motion and growth. With God and in God things progress and improve. A nation under God does the same thing.
7) God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.
One nation, under God is indivisible and is a power the world cannot contend with. Imagine a nation, a righteous nation that placed God as its top priority and righteousness as its purpose. Nothing could challenge it or compare.