What were the 5 most popular Bible verses in 2013? How about the most shared? What were the top 10 most texted, emailed and posted on Facebook and Twitter? YouVersion, makers of the world’s most downloaded Bible app with over 123 million installs worldwide kept track of all of this in 2013. Their Bible app was opened 1 billion times in 2013 so YouVersion has a pretty good handle on what Bible verses trended.
It is fascinating and very telling to see what Bible verses people looked up, posted and shared with others. The core reasons may not be very, well, um, Biblical!
Jesus simplified and condensed the 10 commandments down to two elements. First is to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. The second is to love your neighbor as yourself. In all of the most popular and most shared verses of 2013 (15 in total) none of them have anything to do with loving God. Only one verse deals with loving another person.
Only two Bible verses mention or allude to sin but none ask for forgiveness.
None of the most popular and most shared verses speak of mercy, grace, repentance, faith, patience, wisdom, knowledge or the Holy Ghost
Prayer is mentioned once. Salvation is mentioned once.
Here is what they do mention. By far, the most common thread connecting these verses is a call for power and strength. There are 9 verses dealing with personal strength and power, 10 if you include being exalted.
So realizing that the top Bible verses in 2013 primarily dealt with “self” and “strength” it becomes crystal clear as to why Philippians 4:13 was THE most popular verse of the year.
The most bookmarked, highlighted and shared Bible verse in 2013
“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13
Ten most shared Bible verses via Facebook, Twitter, text messaging, email, etc.
1) “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalms 118:24
2) “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time” 1 Peter 5:6
3) “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” Isaiah 41:10
4) “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you” Matthew 7:7
5) “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31
6) “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15
7) “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word” Ephesians 5:25-26
8) ”Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” Joshua 1:9
9) “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
10) “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” Psalm 18:2
Most Popular Bible Verses of 2013
1) “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13
2) “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31
3) “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” Matthew 6:13
4) “Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” Joshua 1:9
5) “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Philippians 4:6
Post your comments below.